Applying for a Homestead Exemption in Texas
January 19, 2022
Lower your property taxes instantly by filing for a homestead exemption!
Purchased your home last year? This page is for you!
1. What is the homestead exemption?
How does it lower your property taxes? Who qualifies for the exemption?
2. When is the deadline to file your homestead exemption in Texas?
There is no deadline to file this extension. You can file it even 5 years after moving into the house. But do keep in mind that by the time of your application for the exemption, your driving license should reflect your new home address. So, hurry up and update your driving license with your new address!
3. How to apply for the homestead exemption?
If you are like me and very visual, you might like the video below that is easy to watch and sums up the process nicely.
Otherwise, follow the instructions in this document,
4. How to contact your County Central Appraisal District?
Dallas County Central Appraisal District
dallascad.org | 214.631.0520
STAY TUNED: Next up is an article on how to maximize your homeowner tax exemption and how to dispute your property taxes to lower them even more!
You will receive an email with those useful tips from me in a few days!
- 72SOLD Home Selling Program
- Buyer Resources
- Financial Fitness
- For Investors
- Holidays & Seasons
- Home Loan Financing Assistance
- Homeowner Resources
- ITIN Loans
- Looking for a house to buy?
- Materials and publications
- Need to Save on Your Mortgage?
- Realtor in a Pod
- Rent -To-Own Programs in Texas
- Renter Resources
- Seller Financed Homes in N. Texas
- Seller Resources
- Selling Your Home As-Is
- Stats and Trends